Saturday, October 11, 2014

Mad Men Ad Inspired Art


I was recently online shopping for a Mad Men poster, due to my crippling obsession with the show and my absence of Mad Men memorabilia on my walls.  After looking for posters on various websites, I realized I wanted something simple. "How about just the outline they show in the opening credits?" I thought. It turns out, AMC doesn't sell anything like that on their Mad Men posters.
Why is that? I'm sure plenty of people want that logo on their walls. So why wouldn't AMC mass produce a super simple poster that would sell to your run-of-the-mill Mad Men fan? Because much like Sterling Cooper (Draper Price), the ad men for Mad Men would never be so predictable.


^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
AMC has been more inclined to produce products like this.

Not exactly what you would expect for a TV show ad.  But then again people aren't going to buy a Mad Men poster if they've never seen the show.  And anyone who's ever seen the show would immediately get the reference this poster's making.

But like one of Draper's unsatisfied client's, I thought I had a better ad idea than the boys in suits on Mad Ave. So I just decided to paint it.     
                                                                      
After doing the outline to the exact specifications of the outline shown on the opening credits of every episode of Mad Men. But after looking at it a while, I realized that it just wasn't enough.  So I started thinking of ways to improve it.  


I immediately thought of the Season 7 poster (above).  I knew without a doubt I don't possess the artistry to draw that. So I decided to go all Jackson Pollack on it which would hopefully achieve the same effect.  And with that process, I gained my own unprofessional, yet unique representation of the show.  The point of all of this is that there is no way to advertise the advertising show without using a unique or intriguing medium to do it. 

The innovative advertising of the hired ad men for the show caused me to pick up a hobby which I haven't dabbled in since elementary school. Maybe my simpleton mindset made me want something less ambiguous than what the official memorabilia offered, but then again it inspired me enough to take the advertising into my own hands, which is very successful advertising.  

No comments:

Post a Comment